One person was stabbed to death and two others were injured in a terror attack in Melbourne before police shot the perpetrator dead.
Officers initially responded to reports of a car on fire in Bourke Street, one of the citys busiest shopping districts, during the afternoon rush hour.
The attacker, who stabbed three people, killing one, was rushed to hospital with a neck injury before he died from his wounds. A body was seen lying in the street nearby, covered with a white sheet.
Melbourne attack: One dead and two hurt as knifeman stabs crowd in Australian city
They arrived to find people injured by a man with a knife who confronted officers and was then shot in the chest. He was taken to hospital in a critical condition and later died. Police found gas canisters when they searched the 4×4 he had been driving.
Graham Ashton, the Victoria state police commissioner, said that the suspect, who was originally from Somalia, was known to police and that the incident was being treated as terrorism. He…
A bystander has been hailed as a hero after he attempted to take down a knife-wielding terrorist using a shopping trolley during Fridays horrific attack on Bourke Street.
Get The International Pack for free for your first 30 days for unlimited Smartphone and Tablet access.
A man went on a stabbing spree in the centre of Melbourne on Friday after apparently setting a car alight, killing one person and bringing the city to a standstill.
Police believe the deadly attack by a Somali-born Australian man was an act of terrorism, possibly designed to destroy a vehicle filled with gas cylinders in the city centre.
The man, who died after being shot by police, set a four-wheel drive on fire before stabbing three men, including one who died in hospital.
“The perpetrator of the operation… in Melbourne… was an Islamic State fighter and carried out the operation… to target nationals of the coalition” fighting Isil, Amaq reported a jihadist security source as saying.
Armed security personnel stand near the Bourke Street mall in central Melbourne Credit: AAP/James Ross/via REUTERS MoreVictoria Polices Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said the man was known to state and federal counterterrorism agencies through his family associations.
Melbourne attack: Knife-wielding man kills one person and leaves two others injured before being shot by police
Commissioner Ashton said the man moved from Somalia in the 1990s to Melbournes north-west suburbs. He had convictions for cannabis use, theft and driving offences but not for violent offences.
Melbourne attack – Moment hero shopper fends off knife-wielding maniac with shopping trolley as he slashes at
Victorias premier, Mr Daniel Andrews, condemned the act of evil and pledged that the city would “go about our business this weekend and every weekend”.
There were gas bottles – I understand at this stage they are those barbecue-style gas bottles – within the vehicle, Commissioner Ashton said.
In 2009, authorities conducted raids and arrested and charged five Somali Australian men in Melbourne on terrorism offences.
One killed in Melbourne knife rampage terror attack
Footage taken by witnesses showed police shooting the man after he threatened them with an object that appeared to be a knife. Some witnesses said the car exploded before the man began stabbing people.
“He seemed to be waving something, people around me screamed that he had a knife, but I couldnt see clearly from where I was,” a witness told ABC News.
Three stabbed, one dead, in Australias Melbourne, terror not suspected
Sarah Werkmeister, a witness, told The Herald Sun: All I saw was the car on fire, and the police cuffing someone on the ground. People whod seen it had told me they heard shots being fired, and everyone heard an explosion that was like the petrol exploding.
Deadly knife rampage in Melbourne treated as terror
The scene of the attack in Melbourne on FridayMoreThe incident came as the trial began of James Gargasoulas, who is accused of killing six people on Bourke Street last year after allegedly deliberately ploughing through them with a car.
The latest attack occurred on Friday at about 4.30pm, as streams of people were shopping and heading home.
One dead in Melbourne terror attack as man goes on rampage with a knife
A witness, who was taking a stroll during a break from work, told ABC News: It is a very strange thing to witness on the streets you walk everyday… People were quite scared. They wanted to know what was going on. It is so strange to see a car on fire in the centre of the city.
Commuters run into café lock themselves in a kitchen as they flee Bourke Street car and knife attack
Significant fire in Bourke Street – road blocked between Swanston and Russell Streets pic.twitter.com/H6xO1pzy5L
Melbourne terror attack: Man who tried to stop attacker with shopping trolley hailed as a hero
The area around Bourke Street has been cordoned off and a bomb squad is searching for explosives. The attack forced authorities to stop trams running down Bourke Street and Swanston Street.