Camera IconPolice at the scene of the alleged one-punch attack in South Perth.Picture: 7 NewsPerthCharge upgraded to murder for alleged South Perth one-punch attacker Arron Leigh RebbeckElle FarcicPerthNow November 21, 2018 8:41AM TopicsWA NewsA 24-year-old who allegedly killed another man in a one-punch attack in South Perth has had his charge upgraded to murder.
Arron Leigh Rebbeck is accused of punching Steven Richards, 45, outside a Hurlingham Road home earlier this month.
Mr Rebbeck was initially accused of causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Richards but the charge was upgraded to murder when he appeared in Perth Magistrates Court today.
Camera IconAlleged one-punch attacker Arron Leigh Rebbeck will have his charge of grievous bodily harm upgraded to murder today.Picture: 7 NewsThe charge was read to Mr Rebbeck and when he was asked if he understood it, he responded with what appeared to be sign language.
His lawyer told the court Mr Rebbeck had conversed with him in the past and said he did not need an Auslan interpreter at this stage.
A man accused of a one-punch attack outside a South Perth apartment block has had his charge upgraded to murder after the victim died in hospital.
Steven Richards, 45, died four days after he was found with serious head injuries on a footpath at the intersection of Mill Point Road and Hurlingham Road on November 7.
Heather McNeill is a Fairfax Media journalist based in Western Australia with a passion for covering breaking news, crime and courts and Aboriginal affairs.