Club statement – Manchester City FC

Club statement - Manchester City FC

Manchester City abuse compensation payouts could reach six figures

Home UK World Politics US Ocean Rescue Science & Tech Business Ents & Arts Offbeat Analysis Opinion Sky Views Videos Weather Watch Live Manchester City abuse compensation payouts could reach six figures The club establishes an unprecedented scheme which gives victims an alternative course of action to going through the courts. By Martha Kelner, sports correspondent

image/svg+xml Why you can trust Sky News Manchester Citys “survivors scheme” – offering compensation – is almost certainly unprecedented in British sport.

Broome, who worked with City from 1964-71, died in 2010. City did not reveal financial details of the scheme, but British media, including the BBC, reported on Monday that the club were set to offer millions of pounds in compensation. Victims of the most serious crimes will receive six-figure sums in damages while those abused will also receive a personal apology from a senior club official, the BBC reported.

It is a way for the boys – now men – who were abused by Barry Bennell or John Broome to claim compensation.

The scheme applies to victims of Citys former youth coach, Barry Bennell, who was jailed in 2018 for 30 years on multiple counts of child sexual abuse. The club added an independent investigation had also revealed serious allegations of child sex abuse against another former junior coach, John Broome, whose alleged victims will also be eligible for compensation under the scheme.

It offers an alternative course of action to making claims through the courts, which can be a time consuming and emotionally damaging process.

We can confirm that The FA is investigating the allegations made against Peter Beardsley during his time at Newcastle United. We are not in a position to comment further at this time, the FA said. The 58-year-old Beardsley, a former England international, left the Premier League club last week amid accusations that he bullied academy midfielder Yasin Ben El-Mhanni.

It is, in effect, an admission from Manchester City of the responsibility the club has to bear for abuse that occurred while Bennell, one of the most prolific paedophiles in British history, worked with junior players at the club.

The club reiterates … its heartfelt sympathy to all victims for the unimaginably traumatic experiences that they endured, City said in a statement. All victims were entitled to expect full protection from the kind of harm they suffered as a result of their sexual abuse as children.

The former scout and coach was not paid a salary by City but had three stints at the clubs old Maine Road campus between 1976 and 1984.

Former football coach Barry Bennell was last year sentenced to 30 years in prison for abusing youth players, with the judge branding him “sheer evil”. City said they commissioned a review in November 2016 into whether the club was used by Bennell and “any other individual to facilitate alleged sexual abuse of children from 1964 to the present day”.

Broome, who died in 2010, was a talent spotter and junior coach, and was involved at City from 1964-71. Some of his victims are also expected to claim through the fund.

It is understood that the legal firm representing the largest number of Bennells victims has indicated it will recommend claiming through this method, as opposed to via a court.

Compensation figures will take into account “career blight” – a form of loss of earnings – legal fees, therapy fees and the psychological impact of the abuse.

London: Manchester City have launched a compensation scheme for survivors of historical child sex abuse in football, the Premier League club have announced.

It is expected that up to 40 victims could apply to the scheme, while payments made to those worst affected could run into six figures.

The scheme will be kept open for victims who prefer to consider pursuing a civil claim, and there will be no confidentiality clause in settlements. In 2016, Chelsea FC apologised to former player Gary Johnson after it emerged they had paid him £50,000 to keep quiet about allegations of sex abuse by a former chief scout.

Manchester City to issue apology and set up fund for Bennell abuse victims

It is understood that City have familiarised themselves with a case in the local area in which compensation was offered to the victims of Ian Paterson, a disgraced breast surgeon who operated on women unnecessarily.

In that instance, a £37m fund, established by Spire Healthcare – the firm that runs the two private hospitals where Paterson worked – as well as his insurers, was shared between almost 750 victims.

The announcement of Citys “survivors scheme” is in stark contrast to the current stance from Crewe Alexandra, another club where Barry Bennell worked and carried out much of his abuse.

Former Crewe player Steve Walters is taking the club to court after he claimed they told him he had waited too long to report sex abuse by Bennell.

Barry Bennell, a former youth coach, was convicted of 43 charges relating to 12 former junior players between 1979 and 1990 during his time working for City and Crewe Alexandra. He was sentenced to 31 years in prison, and faces the prospect of another trial.

Manchester Citys review into historical sexual abuse is ongoing and the fund being established will not alter the path of this process.

The club know of around 40 survivors, with the majority of the claims made against Bennell. A further nine people have made allegations against John Broome, who worked in the clubs youth set-up as a part-time scout in the late 1960s and is now dead.

An independent FA inquiry into footballs sex abuse scandal, led by Clive Sheldon QC, has been delayed several times and is not expected to deliver its findings until at least June.

Manchester City are setting up a scheme that could lead to survivors of child sexual abuse at the club receiving payments totalling several million pounds.

Manchester City said in a statement: “The club continues to be restricted as to what it can make public at present for legal reasons.

“The club reiterates, however, its heartfelt sympathy to all victims for the unimaginably traumatic experiences that they endured.

Described in court as a “child molester on an industrial scale,” Bennell abused young players at his home – described by one complainant as a “paradise” for boys – and on the way to matches and in changing rooms. Boys coached by Bennell told the trial how he had a power-hold over them as they dreamed of becoming professional players.

“All victims were entitled to expect full protection from the kind of harm they suffered as a result of their sexual abuse as children.”

City on Tuesday launched its redress scheme for survivors following investigations into the conduct of two of its former youth coaches, saying the victims “were entitled to expect full protection from the kind of harm they suffered as a result of their sexual abuse as children.”

Manchester City have launched a compensation scheme for survivors of historical child sex abuse in football, the Premier League club have announced.

The scale of abuse among youth teams in Britain came to light in 2016, when a string of ex-footballers, including England internationals, told of the crimes inflicted upon them, including years of being repeatedly raped.

Man City Issue Apology & Set Up Relief Fund for Abuse Victims of Barry Bennell & John Broome

Former football coach Barry Bennell was last year sentenced to 30 years in prison for abusing youth players, with the judge branding him “sheer evil”.

Manchester City launches redress scheme for survivors of historic sex abuse by Barry Bennell and John Broome

City said they commissioned a review in November 2016 into whether the club was used by Bennell and “any other individual to facilitate alleged sexual abuse of children from 1964 to the present day”.

That review, which is ongoing, led to the “uncovering of serious allegations of child sex abuse in respect of another individual, John Broome.”

City launched an independent QC led inquiry in November 2016 into Bennells connections with the club and how the former youth coach – described as the devil incarnate by a judge – was able to exploit a prominent role to abuse boys as young as eight.

Man City launch child sexual abuse compensation scheme for victims of Barry Bennell and John Broome

Bennell, who was a youth team coach with City and Crewe, was convicted of dozens of offences committed against 12 boys he coached between 1979 and 1991.

The 64-year-old former Crewe Alexandra coach and Manchester City coach and scout lived in Milton Keynes under the name Richard Jones until his arrest. He was sentenced last February for 52 offences committed against 12 boys he coached between 1979 and 1991.

More news:

Ariana Grande leads tributes two years after Manchester Arena attack – AOL UK
Ariana Grande leads tributes two years after Manchester Arena attack – AOL UK
Manchester Arena bombing: K-Pop band Blackpink pay on-stage tribute – BBC News
Manchester Arena bombing: K-Pop band Blackpink pay on-stage tribute – BBC News
Manchester United: Give Ole Gunnar Solskjaer time, says Robin van Persie – BBC Sport
Manchester United: Give Ole Gunnar Solskjaer time, says Robin van Persie – BBC Sport
Paul Pogba being considered for Manchester United captaincy role by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – The Times
Paul Pogba being considered for Manchester United captaincy role by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer – The Times
Manchester City champions parade – Manchester City FC
Manchester City champions parade – Manchester City FC
Pep Guardiola gets lift from Manchester City fan – BBC News
Pep Guardiola gets lift from Manchester City fan – BBC News
Thousands line streets as Manchester City parade their clean sweep of trophies – ITV News
Thousands line streets as Manchester City parade their clean sweep of trophies – ITV News
Manchester City open-top bus parade held – BBC News
Manchester City open-top bus parade held – BBC News
Man City parade 2019 road closures in and around Manchester – Manchester Evening News
Man City parade 2019 road closures in and around Manchester – Manchester Evening News
All you need to know about Manchester Citys victory parade – ITV News
All you need to know about Manchester Citys victory parade – ITV News
Manchester Airport: 13,000 passengers delayed by fuel problems – BBC News
Manchester Airport: 13,000 passengers delayed by fuel problems – BBC News
All you need to know about Manchester Citys victory parade: timings, locations, road closures – ITV News
All you need to know about Manchester Citys victory parade: timings, locations, road closures – ITV News