Andrius Vorobjovas said he had hidden beside James McMullan, 32, the only British person to have been killed in in the attack, who was lying in the corner of an alleyway close to Boro Bistro, where Vorobjovas had been drinking with friends on the evening of 3 June 2017.
McMullan, from Brent, north-west London, is believed to have been stabbed as he stopped to help Sara Zelenak, 21, an Australian au pair, who was also fatally wounded by the terrorists.
Vorobjovas said he had heard a loud bang from above, on Borough High Street, when the van the attackers were using as a weapon crashed into railings, raining debris on people sitting below at tables outside Boro Bistro.
He saw a man waving a bloody blade and there was panic all around him, he told the Old Bailey on Wednesday.
When terrorists careered down London Bridge and smashed into railings, he came to the aid of Australian au pair Sara Zelenak, 21.
I could just hear the tables moving, glass smashing, people running in every direction they could, said Vorobjovas, who said he had hurdled over some flowerpots to escape. I nearly stepped on a person who was lying on his belly, he said. I was very shocked and amazed to see someone there as I couldnt see how someone could end up there.
He said he had hidden for about 30 seconds beside McMullan, during which he had not seen any signs of life. Vorobjovas said he had not checked on McMullans condition because he thought the individuals were coming. I just folded down on my knees, tried to hide behind the flowerbed. I was virtually sitting touching him as I was bending over hiding.
He said he had fled up the steps on to London Bridge and started to make his way home until armed officers asked him to direct them to the courtyard.
There has been no explanation of how McMullan ended up in the alleyway below London Bridge after he helped Zelenak. It has been suggested she slipped and fell on the pavement of Borough High Street while wearing high heels as people fled the terrorists. Gareth Patterson QC, representing six of the eight victims families, said McMullan had no injuries suggesting he had fallen from above.
The court heard McMullan had been caught up in the attacks after he was refused re-entry into a pub where he had been watching the Champions League final.
He was in the Barrowboy and Banker with five friends, including John Dowd, who said McMullan had gone outside after a trip to the toilet. I believe he called my friend Andrew … that he was unable to get back in the pub so hed meet us downstairs [at the Boro Bistro].
Dowd said he never saw his friend again. As he and the others were preparing to leave and join McMullan 10 to 15 minutes later, an alarm went off and they were prevented from departing.
They were eventually evacuated through a fire escape at the back of the pub, which led down into the courtyard outside Boro Bistro, and he saw a body there. I was worried about James so I went to get closer and look, he said. It wasnt James. That man is now known to be Alexandre Pigeard, 26, a French national, who, like McMullan, was fatally wounded.
Dowd said the next day he went round hospitals with other friends of McMullan seeking information about his fate. It was the Monday morning after the attack that McMullans sister Melissa sent a WhatsApp message saying that a card identifying her brother had been found and he was believed to be dead.
The others killed were Chrissy Archibald, 30, from Canada, Kirsty Boden, 28, a nurse from Australia, Sebastien Belanger, 36, a chef from France, Ignacio Echeverría Miralles de Imperial, 39, a Spanish financial analyst, and Xavier Thomas, 45, a French national.
Home UK World Politics US Ocean Rescue Science & Tech Business Ents & Arts Offbeat Analysis Opinion Sky Views Videos Weather Watch Live London Bridge attack officer guarded dying man armed only with baton PC Mia Kerr was giving evidence to the inquiry into the deaths of the eight people who were killed in the attack on 3 June 2017. Fill 2 Copy 11 Created with Sketch. Wednesday 15 May 2019 17:25, UK
image/svg+xml Why you can trust Sky News A young police officer has told of her desperate attempts to save one of the victims of the London Bridge terror attacks as she guarded the scene armed only with a baton.
PC Mia Kerr arrived at 10.12pm – just minutes after the attack began – and discovered Sebastien Belanger, 36, collapsed in Green Dragon Court, below the spot where the attackers van crashed into railings on London Bridge.
At first, she protected the scene single-handed armed only with a baton as members of the public gave first aid, the Old Bailey heard.
The Frenchman, who had a deep stab wound to the stomach, appeared to have a “faint pulse” but later became very cold, the officer said.
Ms Kerr was giving evidence to the inquiry into the deaths of the eight people who were killed in the attack on 3 June 2017.
She had been on duty with PC Clint Wallis when they got the call about a van hitting pedestrians, and said she had suspected it may be a terror attack.
When they arrived on the scene, they saw the van crashed into railings at the Barrowboy and Banker pub and a woman was on the floor at the top of the steps by the pub.
They jumped out of the car and PC Clint Wallis went to woman on the floor and told Ms Kerr to go down the steps, the inquiry heard.
She drew her baton to protect the people assisting Mr Belanger and made a radio call at 10.15pm to report the stabbing.
Ms Kerr said she could hear Mr Belanger gasping and told a woman to put him in the recovery position, adding that she could not feel a pulse.
She said she could see a stomach wound and laceration to his cheek, and told the woman to start CPR while she took a plastic bag out of her personal protection kit before helping them.
She was then joined by another female officer and they both began assisting the woman in giving CPR, while a man held the bag over the wound.
Gareth Patterson, QC, for the victims family, thanked the officer, saying: “It sounds as if you were concerned for your safety throughout but nevertheless carried on with your efforts armed only with a baton.”
Ms Kerr replied: “Yes. Just batons. I was also concerned I was the only officer down there for a while. It felt like forever. I felt I was the person they were looking to for help by myself.
“I only had a years service in the response team. It felt like a lot of pressure, looking back on it.”
Mr Patterson highlighted repeated messages referring to casualties in the courtyard, saying it was “obvious” things were going on.
On body worn footage, messages could be heard requesting London Ambulance Service (LAS) be alerted to a man with a stab wound to the abdomen.
Mr Patterson said: “If you had been told there were LAS resources available before then, up on the High Street, presumably you would have discussed getting Sebastien up to those ambulances as quickly as possible?”
Asked why they did not reach her, she said: “I can only assume that it was because they may have deemed the area too dangerous.”
Mr Patterson said: “We have heard from two LAS witnesses saying they were unaware of all this activity going on below in the courtyard. Were you and the others down there speaking quietly?”
Ambulance service incident response officer Nicholas Lesslar told the court Mr Belangers injuries were “incompatible with life” and another casualty who was breathing and talking needed the ambulance more.
Xavier Thomas, 45, Christine Archibald, 30, Alexandre Pigeard, 26, Sara Zelenak, 21, Kirsty Boden, 28, Mr Belanger, James McMullan, 32, and Ignacio Echeverria, 39, all died in the atrocity before their attackers were shot dead by armed police.